Product Features and Details
The H17.206 is a handmade brass model. It features a full cab interior, functional boiler hatch with boiler details. Like every Micro Metakit locomotive it comes with a highend brushless, ironless bell shaped motor. The locomotive has superior running capabilities, extreme detailing and great pulling power.
This locomotive was converted from the S 10.2, No. 1201 to the H17
Hanomag factory number 7434 built in 1917, was renumbered to 20445 in 1925.
In 1926 the locomotive was renumbered then to 17.206. At this time the highpressure-boiler of "Schmidt-Hartmann" was integrated and the power train was converted to adhesion. The lights were changed to "Pinsch"-Gaslamps. The locomotive had no smoke-deflectors.
The locomotive was painted in the 1926 livery in black with red wheels and drive rods.
History of the original:
BR H 17 206 of the Deutschen Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft
After WWI the new founded Deutsche Reichsbahn was searching for solutions to increase the efficiency of steam locomotives. One reason for this was the shortage of coal caused through the new political situation. Inspired by the Swedish Ljungströms turbine locomotive 267 530 the two locomotives T 18 1001 und T 18 1002 were built by Krupp and Maffei locomotive works. Both constructions were not very successful, same as the Swedish locomotive. The, at the same time built H 02 1001, was to complicated and a real disaster. She never entered regular service.
Another possibility seemed to be the two pressure system, patented by W. Schmidt. This was suggested to Henschel locomotive works/Kassel in 1925. A former Prussian class S 10.1 (DRG class 17.2) was used as base for the reconstruction. The first tests were held in 1927 in the Magdeburg vicinity, but were cut short because of many defects and problems. After many conversions, new tests were made in February 1928. It turned out that only 8 % coals were saved compared to the 18 518 Bavarian S 3/6, which was tested at the same time. After this test series, the locomotive had to be converted again. In 1929/1930 she was in regular service from time to time. Until 1936 the DRG tried to get the locomotive in a reliable technical condition, without success. In 1937 she was changed back to her original state.