Product Features and Details
Steam locomotive kit Umbaulok IV K of the DR, epoch IV-V.
In 1881, the Royal Saxon State Railways (K.Sä.Sts.B.) opened the first of a total of 30 narrow gauge railways. In the construction of the 561 km long route network, the majority was chosen to have a track width of 750 mm. The steep and winding routes soon became a challenge for many locomotive builders: The imported from England double loco II K, the III K with the Klose engine, the articulated IV K Meyer or the VK with Klien-Lindner hollow axles had entertaining engine types. Only with the VI K, which was procured for the former Heeresfeldbahnen in 1918, powerful and - with side-shifting wheelsets system Gölsdorf - simply built 750 mm machines. Occurring signs of wear forced the DR to modernize and reconditioning of some locomotives from 1963. Nevertheless, the VI K disappeared from service, not least because of the heavy axle loads. Today dominated mainly by the DRG or DR procured 1'E 1 'uniform locomotives.