Product Features and Details
Model: Motor with flywheel. Drive on four axles. LED-lighting changes with the direction of travel. Model with digital decoder and digitally switchable sound functions as well as buffer capacitor for uninterruptible power supply. Rich detailing on the model with many separately applied plug-in parts. Short cut-out water tanks in a welded design. Fine metal wheelsets. Unobstructed view through the driver‘s cab windows
Prototype: Almost all German locomotive factories took part in building these engines, 775 examples being produced in the period from 1928 to 1943. Its area of operations was predominantly the routes in Germany's central mountains (Mittelgebirge); as a result, the first 10 units were given a Riggenbach counter-pressure brake. Twenty locomotives were destroyed during the Second World War; lightly damaged engines were repaired. Of the original 775 units, 175 went to the GDR railways, 385 to the Deutsche Bundesbahn, 29 to the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB), 44 to the PKP in Poland as the Class TKt3, 73 to the SZD and 62 to the CSD (6 of which later went to the SZD and 86 043 in 1958 to the GDR). On the last-mentioned 62 engines, 28 became the CSD Class 455.2. Only 2 engines are still unaccounted for (86 016 and 86 469). The ÖBB began to retire as early as 1945, but the last did not retire until 1972. However, the Austrian engines had some of the most spectacular duties, including working double-headed on heavy,
The Bundesbahn stationed most of its 86's in Nuremberg for the Franconian branch lines and the marshaling yards there. The locomotive shed at Hof, Germany was also renowned Class 86 territory. Short, semi-fast trains were also regularly hauled by Class 86. The DB retired its last one in 1974.
In the GDR railways, the 86's were mainly stationed at Aue engine shed (with over 50 engines) for the surrounding Erzgebirge routes. Some DR engines stationed at Heringsdorf shed on the island of Usedom were even given smoke deflectors. One well-known service was a fast-stopping train with 7 Bghw coaches, but light express trains were also on their schedule in the central mountains. The Class 86's last (official) year in service in the DR was 1976, but several engines continued to run on into the 1980s. Since its inauguration in 1928, no. 86 001/86 1001 was under steam almost every day, but in its later years was often just used as a heating engine. Its last duties were on the stub line from Schlettau to Crottendorf, where it ended its steam services in 1988. Together with 86 501 this loco was once again taken into scheduled service for a week in 1989 to celebrate the centenary of the route. With a service age of 60 years, it became the longest-serving of all the standard locomotives to be placed in scheduled service by a national railway. Since 1999, no. 86 001 has been mothballed. No. 86 1056 met a tragic end in 1989 when she was the last victim of the GDR's scrapping madness and was converted into a mobile steam dispenser. It's driving gear and cylinders went into the furnace.