Product Features and Details
Steam locomotive 24 017 "Steppenpferd" of the Deutsche Bundesbahn.
¦ With PluX22 interface and original sound functions now available for the first time
¦ The model features smoke deflectors of the type "Wagner"
The class 24 was primarily designed to haul passenger trains but thanks to its robust design, the locomotive later also hauled light freight trains. That's how the BR 24 became a reliable multipurpose locomotive for lighter services.
Model & Prototype Information
Model: Like all Roco locomotives the BR 24 has extensive cosmetic details which include a high-quality paint finish, crisp lettering, inset windows, brake shoes between wheels, and interior details in the driver’s cab. Mechanically: Roco HO Gauge locomotives are some of the best models on the market. This model has a fully functional, finely detailed Heusinger valve gear and prototypical “daylight” between the boiler and chassis. Motor: Roco locomotives are equipped with powerful 5-pole can motor with flywheels and high-quality gears which gives the model smooth running characteristics and excellent performance, The model has three powered axles two of which have traction tires. DCC and Lights: Model is equipped with a Plux22 DCC factory installed Zimo sound decoder and prototypical triple headlights on both the locomotive and tender, lights coordinated with the direction of travel. Couplers: Model comes with NEM 362 close coupler pockets so any coupler can be used. The model also has close-coupling between loco and tender. Construction: Model has a cast-metal chassis and plastic shell
Prototype: The BR 24's were nickname the 'prairie horse' (Steppenpferd) they were developed specially for the long, flat routes in West and East Prussia. Ninty five locomotives were built by the firms of Schichau, Linke-Hofmann and others. The two units with operating numbers 24 069 and 24 070 were supplied by Borsig with a medium pressure boiler. These locos ran with a boiler overpressure of 245.1 N/cm2 (355.5 psi), but were rebuilt in 1952. The BR 24 shares its basic design with the BR 64. Just like its sister BR 24 was considered reliable, strong and versatile. Since entering service in 1928 the BR 24 proved itself as light and nimble passenger service locomotive. Its larger coal and water capacity meant that it could be used on long branch lines or even hauling fast trains.
The Deutsche Bundesbahn took over 38 locomotives and retired them by 1966. The last one with the DB was locomotive number 24 067, which was stabled in Rheydt and taken out of service there in August 1966. Engine numbers 24 002, 004, 009, 021 and 030 were left with the DR after the Second World War. They were all stabled in Jerichow shed in 1960 and their sphere of operations until 1968 was the branch line network of the Kleinbahn AG in Genthin. No. 24 009 was re-numbered in 1970 to 37 1009 and was used as a reserve breakdown engine in Güsten and Stendal. In 1972 it was sold to the West German railway magazine Eisenbahn-Kurier .Thirty-four locomotive remained in Poland after the Second World War, where PKP classified them as Oi2. They served until the last one was withdrawn in 1976. One of the preserved locomotives in Germany, no. 24 083, had been in service in Poland. The locomotives were equipped with 3 T 16 and 3 T 17 tenders. Four Class 24 locomotives have been preserved: three in Germany (24 004, 24 009 and 24 083), and one in Poland (Oi2-2