Product Features and Details
LBs 584 with 4 oval containers Edzkr 571 Coupling shaft as per NEM 362, close coupling kinematics, l.o.b.: 126 mm.
Precursors of today's containerised traffic were the mediumsized containers, so-called pacontainers. Directly after the Second World War the German State Railways procured 334 three-compartment carrying wagons and 1,000 medium-sized containers - each one as an open and closed construction as well as pa-containers for water-sensitive general cargo. Whereas in the beginning old chassis types were converted into carrying wagons, 1952 saw the new design enter service on a large scale. Almost 1900 threecompartment wagons followed from 1955 onwards with 2400 four-compartment BTms 55 as well as from 1958 also five-compartment wagons. At the same time the containers underwent further development and special containers were procured, e.g. for refrigerated cargo and various liquids. In particular, containers for general cargo and for beer were privately produced by numerous firms and painted in the company livery. The last four-compartment container carrier wagons of the German Railways were deployed until the early eighties. After this time many chassis of the now defunct wagons were converted into railway service coaches, e.g. for wheel transports. Two hired wagons, now designated as Lbms 485, were accepted by German Railways in 1994.