Product Features and Details
1950 version no streamlining with 2 cab windows painted in the blue/beige livery with the SNCF logo on the front nose.
Model: Fulgurex will deliver the amazing class 262’s in seven versions a small limited quantity of only 130 will be produced worldwide. Models will be all handmade from brass and feature full interiors with many extra details. Models will have cab illumination, functional doors, directional lighting and a factory installed ESU digital decoder. Models will be powered by two brushless high efficiency canon motors with flywheels. The class 262’s are extremely limited, we will only receive a few of each version do reserve yours today! This version has no streamlining. Model has 2 cab windows painted in blue/beige livery with SNCF logos on side of the locomotives.
Prototype: In 1937 the PLM put the class 262 into service. The class 262 was a massive 225-ton twin unit diesel locomotive powered by a pair of Sulzer 12-cylinder twin bank engines. At the time of construction, they were the most powerful engines ever installed in railway traction. The 12-cylinder twin bank engines were each rated at 2,200hp at 700 rpm on the one-hour rating. Besides the 12-cylinder engines the locomotive had a main generator and six traction motors. The 262 was originally intended to haul the 'Cote d'Azure' express between Paris and Nice or Mentone, returning the next day with the northbound working. Servicing and traffic reasons quickly found these plans replaced by the locomotive working a return day trip between Paris and Lyons, a daily mileage of 635 miles with average speeds of 56 - 60 mph on 350 - 450 tons trains prior to World War Two. After the war the average speed dropped to 50 - 52 mph but the loadings increased from 560 - 750 tons. The route was mostly undulating but included a continuous rise over eighty miles between Laroche & Blaisy-Bas. After the electrification of the Laroche - Dijon route the locomotive was transferred south to cover the Riviera expresses, including the Blue Train, between Lyons & Nice, a return trip of 700 miles every twenty-four hours. Due to track conditions existing at the end of the War the locomotive's top speed was limited to 120 kph (75mph), prior to the War 140 kph (87mph) was possible. During the war the locomotive was stored, being recommissioned in June 1945. From 1945 to 1950 the class 262 ran an incredible 628,000 miles principally on the Paris-Dijon route. The class 262 was extremely robust, it on need three general overhauls from 1938 to 1950. During the general 1950 overhaul the two power units still had the four-original carbon-steel crankshafts. Of the twenty-four original forged aluminum alloy pistons, only two had been replaced, in the 'B' unit. The cast iron cylinder heads and the fuel injection pumps were all original.
The Sulzer powered 262BD1 was one of a pair of twin units ordered by the PLM, the second twin unit, 262AD1 is shown above, this machine was powered by four MAN 1,050hp engines. Fittings on the locomotives were standardized where possible to keep spares to a minimum, likewise the bodyshells reveal much similarity. Both twin units were retired from service during 1955. The Class 262’s were unique and innovative locomotives for the time and they were powerful beasts.