Product Features and Details
Model: The Fulgurex A3/5 is simply remarkable. The model is all handmade out of brass and it's equipped with a brushless, ironless, high efficient motor with flywheel and digital decoder. Model features full cab interiors, functional smoke box door, prototypical locomotive and tender illumination and a very attractive bluish/ grey and black livery. Fulgurex models are among the finest and most collectible hand crafted models in the world. Fulgurex models are handmade and hand painted by "Old-World" artisans that have made Fulgurex locomotives the most sought after models by collectors all over the globe. The locomotives are truly the epitome of fine craftsmanship - the Mercedes of the European Model Railway Industry! Many Fulgurex models are produced in quantities less than 40 worldwide, so they are very collectible. Fugurex has really out done themselves on this model, it is simply a work of art.
Fulgurex produced this exquisite model to commemorate the opening of the New Swiss St. Gotthard Tunnel. The new St. Gotthard tunnel is 35.5 miles long making it the longest train tunnel in the world.
This exquisite model is very limited so if your interested please contact us right away.
Prototype: The A 3/5 was introduced to the Gotthardbahn in 1894 and it was one of the first express locomotives which traveled on the Gotthard. The first A 3/5 locomotive was a 3 cylinder compound machine but after rigorous testing the Gotthardbahn engineers decided a 4 cylinder version was needed instead. The contract to produce the 4 cylinder A 3/5 was given to SLM (SWISS LOCOMOTIVE MANUFACTURE). SLM created an extraordinary locomotive, their craftsmanship and ingenuity earned them a great deal of recognition. The A3/5 was an absolute high light during the national Swiss exhibition of 1895. The Gotthardbahn alone ordered 28 of these engines, which were delivered between 1897 to 1905. The A3/5 were able to pull 250 tons on flat routes and 140 tons on the mountainous routes. The first locomotives were stationed in the main depots at Erstfeld, Bellinzona and Biasca. After 1926 the locomotives were either taken out of service or sold since most of the Swiss routes were converted to electrified lines.