Product Features and Details
Locomotive Model: Era I Prussian tender locomotive type S 10.1 of the K.P.E.V. This exquisite model is equipped with a high end factory installed sound decoder. Model has extensive details which include, true to the original livery and lettering, detail driver's cab, in plane applied windows and unobstructed prototypical day light view between boiler and chassis true to the original. Model also has rich detailing on the fully moveable Heusinger valve gear, brake shoes between the driving wheels die cast metal chassis and high quality maintenance free motor with flywheel. Drive on all 4 wheels with 4 traction tires. Dual headlights on each end of the locomotive that change with the direction of travel. Close couplers on the tender of the locomotive. Coupler pocket according to NEM 362 standards.
- True to the original sound
- high end maintenance free motor
- low wheel flanges
- low mounted running metal boards and wheel housing
Locomotive History: As a result of the lack of powerful express locomotives in the first decade of the 20th century, the Prussian state railways ordered the Class S 10 locomotives from Schwartzkopff. This engine was an evolutionary development of the passenger train locomotive, the Prussian P 8, which can be seen from the similarity in their locomotive frames. Unlike the P 8, however, the S 10—inspired by the Saxon XII H—had a four-cylinder engine with simple expansion. Between 1910 and 1914 a total of 202 locomotives were built. The two prototypes were initially designated as S 8 class and only reclassified in 1912 to S 10. The Lübeck-Büchen Railway took delivery of five similar, albeit somewhat less powerful, machines that they also designated as the S 10. Over the course of time several modifications were made. In the end the S 10 proved to be worse than the S 101, a four-cylinder compound locomotive in terms of both steam and coal consumption and was one of the most uneconomical Prussian locomotives.
The Deutsche Reichsbahn took over 135 locomotives into its Class 17.0-1 and gave them the running numbers 17 001–135. They were retired by 1935, however, due to their high fuel consumption. Only three examples (17 039, 102 and 107) survived the Second World War, as braking locomotives. The last S 10 was retired in 1954.
Number 17 008 has been sectioned and is on display in the German Museum of Technology in Berlin .
Passenger Car Models: Set consists of there exquisite 4 axle 1st/2nd/3rd class compartment cars with brakeman's cab type ABCC Erfurt of the Prussian K.P.E.V. Set also includes one Prussian baggage car type Pw 4ü pr04. Coaches have full interiors, painted in plane applied windows and true to the original livery and lettering. Coaches are equipped with NEM 362 close coupler pockets and are preparded for installation of interior illumination.