Product Features and Details
Road no. VT 66 905
Model: Extra mounted and free-standing steps and handrails; prepared for sound or with built-in sound; metal drive unit; multipart interior fittings; in-plane assembled windows; illuminated driver's cab; finest metal spoked wheels; drive in the locomotive to all four axles; with interior fittings; fine engravings; close-coupling; finely detailed bogies; true-to epoch lighting; original colour replication: roof silver, body red, chassis blackIn 1947, DR gave all six WUMAG railcars in the western occupation zones new numbers. Now they were designated as VT 66 900 - 905. By now very much the worse for wear, the vehicles were refurbished in various ways, although not uniformly. For instance, the worn metal window frames were replaced by oak frames and the radiator, heating, exhaust gas and brake systems were overhauled. Four vehicles were newly painted in German railway purple with a silver roof. Daily, three railcars were deployed to Hof, Bayreuth, Rothenburg o.d.T., Neumarkt, Furth i. Wald, Weiden, Lichtenfels, Coburg, Dietfurt, Gräfenberg, Markt Erlbach and Unternbibert-Rügland. They went on special trips as far as Bad Kissingen, Stuttgart and Lindau on Lake Constance. In 1952, the VT 66 902, 904 and 905 were equipped with new diesel engines from Deutz or Daimler-Benz. The others kept their benzene engines because they were approaching the end of their service life. The first to retire, in 1950, was the VT 66 900 and the others with benzene drive had all followed by 1954. In 1955, the VT 66 904 with the Deutz engine was also decommissioned. That left just the two VT with Daimler-Benz engines, which left Nuremberg in 1953 for the Hamm railway depot. There they were decommissioned in 1956. While the VT 66 905 served at various locations as a mobile ticket office and was dismantled in 1971, there were still VTs that made it to different private railways. Today, only the former “Nürnberg 761” (with “roof coolers”) made of chipboard survives. The VT 66 902 was directly dismantled in 1957, but the other three were taken out of operation after fires or accidents between 1955 and 1979.