Product Features and Details
Road no. 416
Model: Boiler, chassis, tender and body in die-cast zinc; finest metal spoked wheels; smoke generator and sound decoder, either built in or as a retrofit option; true-to epoch lighting, multipart lamp housing; illuminated driver's cab; standard shaft front and rear with link guide; close coupling between locomotive and tender; perfectly replicated back boilerplate; metal, filigree reversing gear; finest paintwork and printing; lines and extra mounted parts in minimum material thickness; drive in the locomotive; empty coal chute, coal insert enclosed; single axle bearing; original colour replication: without trim lines With the G 7 and G 8, KPEV (Prussian state railway) had introduced the four-coupled goods locomotive, which was then developed to perfection for the time in the form of the G 81. However, to cope with the axle load of 17 Mp, a reinforced superstructure was necessary. This could not be achieved at the same pace as the manufacturers supplied the locomotives. That created the demand for a lighter yet equally strong engine to reduce the need to separate trains. A five-coupled system was essential to maintain the required axle load of 14 Mp. Experience with this solution had already been gained with the T 16. The company Henschel took on the engineering of the locomotive designated the G 10. They used the proven boiler of the P 8 and drive wheels with a diameter of 1,400 mm – a dimension that was to become the standard up to the end of the construction of steam locomotives for goods trains. In 1910, Henschel supplied the first 49 engines, which went into service at KED (royal railway directorate) Breslau, Cöln, Frankfurt, Königsberg, Mainz and Saarbrücken. The 5101 Saarbrücken went on show at the Brussels World Exhibition, and the later 5428 Saarbrücken represented German locomotive production in Buenos Aires. Up to 1915, as many as 548 Prussian G 10 were built. Due to the war, none were supplied in 1916. They were used in all Prussian directorates for goods and passenger trains. Most of the engines belonged to the rolling stock of the railway depots in the Rhine and Ruhr region.