Product Features and Details
Prototype: For fast inter-city services the Austrian Federal Railways developed the modern class 5045 diesel railcars as early as the 1950's. The hump on the roof over the railcar head contained the cooling unit and gave the vehicle its unmistakable appearance until the reconstruction in 1970. Until its removal this hump also prevented the widespread use of the railcar because of its excess height. The first 5045 units were based at Vienna South and were used on the lines to Traviso and Villach. Since they reduced the earlier travel time from 8 to 6 1/2 hrs. they were given the nickname the "Blue Flash". They won international recognition when used under the name "Vindobona" on the route from Franz Josef Station in Vienna via Gmund, Prague and Dresden and then to Berlin in 1962/63.
Model: This replica of the three-unit "Blue Flash" with it's high humped roof, a third headlight and large embossed BBO sign on the front. Authentic livery and markings give the train a superb appearance. Interior lighting is accomplished w/ LED's.