Product Features and Details
Model: The Fleischmann Prussian P4 express locomotive will be a very impressive model with exceptional running performance. Model will be highly detailed, colorful, and the number of separately applied parts will be truly impressive. The new P4 will feature prototypical "daylight" between boiler and chassis and a fully operational, finely detailed Heusinger valve gear. Model will feature original sound recording from the prototype which have been digitally enhanced for the ultimate in sound quality. Model will be equipped with a powerful 5 pole motor and all wheel drive, both the tender wheels and locomotive wheels will be powered. Fleischmann has thought of every detail even brake shoes between the wheels and a full cab interior. The new P4 would make a nice addition to any collection especially for those collectors that model Era I.
Prototype: The Prussian P4 was built by Hanomag in 1892. The Class P4 (BR 36) locomotives were representatives of changing eras. In the years immediately preceding 1900 a number of technical breakthroughs had been made, or were on the verge of being achieved. The two-axle lead bogies had, for instance, been introduced in many German locomotives and had contributed to improve running qualities. Boiler pressure had been raised to 12 kp/cm2 and pneumatic brakes were introduced. Compound locomotives were also already seen on German rails. The K.P.E.V. ordered the first P4's together with the S3, as of 1892. The orders were preceded by the so-called "Erfurt test locomotives" with compound and twin cylinder technology. Whereas the S3 was a compound engine from inception,the P4 was originally equipped with twin cylinders because, as a passenger locomotive it had to be started up more often. Although various technical improvements could be made with regard to the appropriate filling of the high and low pressure cylinders, it was the Dultz valve that finally made the compound P4 possible. The two versions were distinguished using the classification P4.1 for the twin, and P4.2 for the compound. At a total of 1260 engines, the P4 was a very important locomotive, the P4.2 was also presented at the Paris World Fair in 1900. The P4 also gained importance as the experimental engine for various tests, including the Schmidt-super-heated flue, oil and coal-dust combustion, as well as preheaters; a truly pioneering class. After 1925 the DRG took over 438 P4.2 locomotives and reclassified them as the BR 36. The DRG made some improvements giving the BR 36 600HP and a top speed of 90km/h. The P4's were in service for a surprisingly long time, in some areas until after WWII.
- 5 Pole Can Motor with Flywheel
- Metal Chassis
- Factory Installed Sound Decoder
- Directional lighting NEM 652 8-pin DCC Receptacle
- NEM 362 Coupler Pocket
- 2 Traction Tires